With more than 150 years of history, the Academy has a unique, long-range perspective. Throughout the generations, St. E’s has been witness to and part of history . Consider some of the occasions on which St. E’s students have gathered in our Study Hall:
- called to prayer during the Civil War...and then again during the long nights of both world wars...with worry about loved ones fighting in Korea...in anguish during the war in Vietnam...and to find comfort in the aftermath of 9/11.
- mourning the assassination of President Lincoln...and then a century later, President Kennedy.
Over the years, our same Academy girls have also had many reasons to rejoice. Across our campus and within our walls, we have marveled as history unfolded before our eyes, celebrating:
- our nation healing as North and South came together to rebuild.
- the Wright brothers’ success at Kitty Hawk.
- the ratification of the 19th Amendment, establishing women’s right to vote.
- receiving word that Charles Lindbergh was safe on terra firma across the Atlantic.
- American astronauts walking on the moon.
- the continuing technological advancements that have expanded human potential.
Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow.
Academy women make a difference in the world.
Where can AOSE take you?