Academy of Saint Elizabeth

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Class of 2018 College Acceptances: Binghamton University   Boston University   Bucknell University   Catholic University    Clarkson University   DeSales University   Drew University   Fairfield University   Fordham University   George Washington University   Hofstra University   Immaculata University   Ithaca College   James Madison University   Johnson & Wales University   Kutztown University   Loyola of Maryland   Manhattan College   Marist College   Marymount Manhattan College   Mercyhurst University   Montclair State University   Pace University   Penn State University    Providence College   Quinnipiac University   Roger Williams University    Rowan University   Rutgers University-School of Arts & Science Honors Program   Sacred Heart University   Salve Regina University   Seton Hall University   St Bonaventure University   St Francis University   St Joseph’s University   Stevens Institute of Technology   Susquehanna University   TCNJ   Trinity College   University of California-San Diego   University of Connecticut .  University of Delaware   University of Hartford-Honors Program   University of Maryland-College Park Scholar    University of Massachusetts Amherst    University of Miami   University of Minnesota   University of Rhode Island   University of Scranton   Vanderbilt University   Widener University
About » History


Established in 1860, the Academy of Saint Elizabeth is the oldest all-girls high school in New Jersey.

Mother Xavier had been commissioned by Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley, a nephew of Elizabeth Ann Seton, to establish New Jersey’s first secondary school for young women. The Academy welcomed its first students in a white frame building that still stands today. Just a few years later, in 1865, a new building was completed in time to host the first commencement exercises on the growing campus. By then, the Academy had already established an enviable reputation for its academics, culture, and Catholic learning.

The original AOSE schoolhouse was built in Madison; the renaming to Convent Station would come in the 1870s, when Mother Xavier funded the construction and staffing of the train station just beyond the Academy gates.

The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth continued to acquire local parcels of land whenever they became available - an enlightened determination for women of their time and circumstance. Today, the campus is over 200 acres and also the home of the College of Saint Elizabeth, founded in 1899.

In 2015, the Academy entered a new era when it welcomed its first lay leader, Principal Lynn Burek. At the Academy, we look back on our rich and important history even as we engage in today’s work of educating young women for 21st-century scholarship, leadership, and service.